Now, I know the topic alone is bound to raise eyebrows. Religion is a touchy subject on its own but even more so in our lifestyle. But, again this is just my opinion and my thoughts written here. You don't have to agree and it's always open for civilized discussion.
First off I will gladly state that I am a practicing Catholic and I raise my daughter with faith in that religion. It is my firm belief that if I raise her with religion (no matter what denomination) that I am giving her the freedom to make an informed decision for herself one day as to what she does. I feel I am doing my duty as a parent. If she chooses to break from the church as an adult, sure it would be a bit of a shock but it would be her choice and I'd still love her regardless. I am also NOT saying my religion is better than any other. It is what I was raised with and I have friends of all walks. Hell M is Lutheran and neither of us look at the other in judgement on that. But that really is not where I am trying to go.
What I am going to discuss here could probably be seen as heresy to some. Oh well, it is my soul that will have to stand up on reckoning day. Yesterday as we all know was Palm Sunday. It is the day Jesus went before Pontius Pilate and was sentenced to death by crucifixion. The night before, Jesus spent time in the garden of Gethsemane praying. He asked God the father that if this could be spared, to do so but he was putting himself at his will...God's will be done. (Sound familiar fellow submissives?) During the homily, or sermon for my non-catholic friends, the Priest went on to discuss suffering. He discussed how we all have suffering to endure just as Jesus did and how as Jesus did not complain, we needed to find it within us to suffer without complaint. Rather than complain, be glad that our suffering is not as Jesus' but it is our way of repaying what he did for us...eternal Salvation.
Now, with that laid out, it got me to thinking. On what? Well, when thought about TTWD, it is not so different. It is actually all over the bible.Ephesians 5:22-33
"Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands. Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body. “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband." Colossians 3:18-19 "Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them."
Those are just two passages off the top of my head. So, I do not question on whether TTWD is right or wrong in the eyes of religion. Those were both statements in letters sent by St. Paul, one of the apostles of Christ himself left by him to teach and lead the people on earth in our relationship with God. But I recently made a statement to M saying that he was much like religion to me. At the time, it felt right but I do not think I truly understood it until yesterday.
As a submissive, we willingly give ourselves up to the will of another. Just as we do with our relationship to whatever higher power we recognize. We put our whole selves in the hands of another to be shaped, molded and reformed into something better, something more beautiful than it was before. With this, we do take on sufferings. (Doms, hold your boxers for a moment if you will please.) We willingly give up our independence, our right to choose, our complete control over to our Dominants. We cook every meal and clean every inch of the home for the most part (I say most because most realize that we are but one person and there will be a time when we do need a hand), take care of children…basically we willingly take on doing everything one can imagine at times, and then some of us have jobs on top of that. There are days we wake up and we have to literally force ourselves to do what is expected of us but we do it and we do so without complaint. We swallow the pride that growing up we were taught to instill in ourselves and kneel willingly in front of or at the feet of someone else. We willingly put ourselves below someone else.Why? Because it’s the path we have chosen, because we serve knowing our Dominant loves and cherishes us, has our best interests at heart and guides us to becoming better people.
Isn’t that the same way our relationship works with whatever higher power we worship whether it be God, Allah, Krishna, Buddha, etc? For me…it is incredibly similar. Of course, for many this is where the issue comes in with confliction. Many I’ve talked to say they struggle because in some ways they view it as a possible distraction from their religious beliefs. That it would be similar to idol worship or what have you. I guess I can see that but personally I don’t view it that way. M and I both know that God in our house comes first. We understand that by living the way we do, we can achieve a better understanding and relationship to God. Think about it. If you are living that way with each other, then it is not so hard to have the same relationship with the higher power. We are living as, I believe, God would have us.
Perhaps I am way off base. Perhaps I am an uneducated nutcase. My college education contradicts that but ya know…to each their own opinion. As for me? I have a beautiful D/s relationship that not only strengthens M and I as a couple and individuals…but also strengthens me in my religion. For me, I could not have one without the other…
No comments:
Post a Comment