Let me be the first to say, muscle memory is REAL. The heart being the muscle that it is...it doesn't forget. That is where the confusing and hard part come in. Talking to him, there are moments that it is easy to remember how I came to love him and why I submitted. Sure, I am even strong enough to admit that I even got butterflies in my stomach a time or two. But with the space I was given on my side, I do see things a lot clearer than I had back then.
Looking back, much to my own dismay and shame, I realized that I had completely lost who I was in him. Yes, I get it...that's what we submissives do. But, I mean lost myself as in losing my own identity and neglecting common sense. In my drive to please, I forgot to listen to reason and allowed manipulation do the leading. I neglected standing up for myself when I should've. I ignored reason and allowed my all consuming love blind me to the mistakes, the sadness and lack of leadership, guidance, nurturing and firmness. I forgot my own needs in an effort to try and fill his. No, I am not bashing him nor do I regret. He taught me a lot in the end and I did end up a better person for it...
He is the one that led me to the discovery of ultimately what I want and need in, not just a Dominant, but also a partner. It's because of him, that I learned to trust myself and my own instincts more. It's because of him that I am a stronger, more confident person. He gave me the fuel that ignited the fire and like a phoenix, I have risen from the ashes brighter and more beautiful. You cannot really ask for more than that, no matter how it came to be.
I am ok with admitting that I do still love him, despite the way things ended. I just now know I need someone who won't ask or push me to lose myself, but helps who I am build into something better. I am willing to go to the ends of the earth for someone I love, but they have to be willing to do the same...and prove it. Anyone can say "I love you...follow me" but true love, a true leader will lead by example...by actions. (Yes, giving a pull on the leash works too lol but you know what I mean.)
i can SO relate to this.....but i couldn't have put it better myself. Perfect.
ReplyDeleteThank you LM! It's rough but all thugs happen for a reason :)
ReplyDeleteI think it's great you can now say the things you did in this post, both about you and him. I also think its great you recognize that even though you love him, it isn't right for you to be with him. So many times people go back into unhealthy relationships only to have it end worse than the first time.
ReplyDeleteIt's wise to hold out for someone who will "walk to the ends of the earth for you and prove it..."
Great post.
Thank you so much St. I whole heartedly agree and I plan on holding out... we all deserve that :)
ReplyDelete